March 2012 - Present
- Consulted on over 15 projects, ranging in duration from two weeks to nine months
- Building the frontend for a unique e-commerce website from scratch (Angular 1)
- Building a job board website for contract workers in a large megaconglomorate (React)
- Re-writing the billing sections of a popular sports website from scratch (Angular 1 / Rails)
- Adding shopping cart functionality to a popular e-commerce website that was somehow lacking it (Rails / React)
- 3 months iterating on a redesign for the web version of a popular CAD tool (Angular 1)
- 6 months rewriting a Flex application in Angular 1
- Backendy stuff with Ruby/Rails, and a little bit of Java Spring now and then.
- Frontendy stuff with React, Angular 1, Backbone, Ember and some Angular 2
- Six months of increasingly out of date iOS experience
- TDD with Jasmine / RSpec / Capybara
- Pair Programming all day every day
Aruba Networks / AirWave Wireless
September 2008 - November 2011
- Worked on the AirWave Management Platform, a web application for managing large deployments of Wireless Access Points.
- Designed and optimized reports that aggregated large amounts (5 minute intervals over a 1 month duration) of wireless client data to calculate statistics such as bandwidth usage.
- Implemented complex designs to allow configuration of the myriad bells and whistles in modern Wireless Access Points while maintaining consistency using both client-side (JS) and server-side (Perl) validation.
- Extreme Programming environment with pair programming, agile project planning, and automated testing.
April 2007 - May 2008
- Wrote spider scripts to ingest videos and associated metadata from XML feeds and unstructured HTML sources
- Developed and maintained perl scripts responsible for checking 1 million links a day and transcoding 150,000 videos a day.
- Wrote tools to easily interact with open-source command line programs such as ffmpeg and mencoder
- Created a screensaver product to display dynamic video content using, C++, Win32 and NSIS
October 2006 - February 2007
- Designed and implemented UI elements for LobbyTrack, an access control application
- Responded to end-user support requests over email and telephone.
- Visual Basic 6, Visual Studio 6, MS Access, SQL
Skills and Technologies
- Proficient: Ruby, Rails, Angular 1, CSS
- Experienced: React, Ember
- Less Strong: Perl, Python, Java
- Linux (Ubuntu, CentOS), Windows, OSX
- Much PostgreSQL, less MySQL
- IntelliJ editors, enough Vim to survive, emacs back in the day
- Agile project tracking with Pivotal Tracker
- Git, some Perforce, SVN back in the day
University of California, Davis
2002 - 2006
B.S. Computer Science and Engineering